• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sheriff fails to comply with court order

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rogue

What is the name of your state? Texas

I am honestly at a loss. A family member is currently in custody in a Dallas County Jail. He has been in custody for 7 weeks now and the case has still not been presented to the Grand Jury. The current hold up is not really a bad thing. The DA has stated that if they are provided a passing polygraph test along with some other documented evidence that the defense attorney has, they will drop the case without it ever getting to a Grand Jury.

Here comes the area of frustration. Due to the accused being in custody a court order was required for a polygraph tester to be able to perform the test in the jail. The attorney got the required court order and gave it to the testing company but the sheriff of Dallas County has refused to allow the tester into the jail to conduct the test.

I am at a loss as to how someone, even a sheriff, can deny access to an inmate when there is a court order, ordering that the test be done. Is there something that can be done to force the sheriff to let the testing company in so that they can complete the test? Both the attorney and the testing company have said that they have never had issues with this procedure until this particular sheriff took office.

Can the sheriff be held in contempt of court for not complying with the court order?

Some further information to help with possible answers - the jail has not been on lock down during this time at all and the inmate has not had any behavior issues that would have him being punished.

Honestly we just want to do what is needed to get this test completed so that he can come home but with the current road block we are at a loss as to what to do.

Kane

They know there's a court order, and they're still not letting him in?

You're sure about that?

Well, either way all you can do is go back to the judge and let him know what happened.

My guess is it's a bureaucratic snafu. What's your lawyer say?

rogue

Yes they have taken the court order with them each time and shown it to her with no luck.

The lawyer hasn't said much at all which is what drove me to this site. He is horrible about not returning phone calls or emails. His asst. just keeps telling us that per the lawyer we should not worry and be patient. And although I understand that he is probably busy, it makes it even harder on all of us because we don't know what is going on.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">