• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What does the Law say regarding Fights / Assault; Fists as Deadly Weapons?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? NV

If a fight occurs does it matter who started it or are both parties guilty of assault?

If just the starter of a fight is guilty of assault, then who is the starter: the one who spoke the first ill words or the one who touches the other first? Does the first push constitute the start of a fight or is the first one who throws a punch the starter?

If a fight is started against me, i.e. the other guy pushes me, do I have a right then to defend myself with fists?

I have recieved a black belt in Shaolin Kung Fu. I heard from a few different people (not my teachers) that if you have a black belt in a martial art you are required to register your fists as deadly weapons. Is this just a urban legend or an actual law? If it's true where would you register? How would anyone know I have a black belt?

I am living in a very hostile situation right now. I have never been in a fight before, but feel that one might be coming soon. Any advice?

CdwJava

TaoWanderer said:
If a fight occurs does it matter who started it or are both parties guilty of assault?
It depends. If the second person is fighting in self defense to protect him or herself from further harm, then he or she can raise that as a defense at trial. if the second person returns the blows in earnest and becomes a full participant in a mutual combat, then he or she is generally equally guilty.

If just the starter of a fight is guilty of assault, then who is the starter: the one who spoke the first ill words or the one who touches the other first? Does the first push constitute the start of a fight or is the first one who throws a punch the starter?
It depends on the circumstances, but generally the person that strikes the first blow will be the one who started it. But being the second person to land a blow is no guarantee that the person will not be charged.

If a fight is started against me, i.e. the other guy pushes me, do I have a right then to defend myself with fists?
If he pushes you and steps back, generally, no. You can use force to protect yourself, not to retaliate.

I have recieved a black belt in Shaolin Kung Fu. I heard from a few different people (not my teachers) that if you have a black belt in a martial art you are required to register your fists as deadly weapons. Is this just a urban legend or an actual law? If it's true where would you register? How would anyone know I have a black belt?
It's urban legend. No state I know of has any such requirement.

I am living in a very hostile situation right now. I have never been in a fight before, but feel that one might be coming soon. Any advice?
Huh? You are "living" in a hostile situation? Then why not move?

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">