• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Quick question for a quick answer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

confusedinKy

What is the name of your state? Kentucky.

In an auto accident does the officer who writes the report check both drivers for wants/warrants? I was involved in an accident late Saturday night, and the driver of the car that struck me was arrested because he had a warrant for a parole violation in addition to some unknown felony. Nither I nor the passenger of my car were injured ( the impact was less than 25 mph), I was just currious about what the correct procedure for the police in this situation is.

I would be glad to answer any questions that anyone has about this or accept any comments.

Thank you.

The Occultist

Yes, when an officer responds to a call, it is not at all uncommon for the names/license numbers of all parties on site to be run.

confusedinKy

Yes, when an officer responds to a call, it is not at all uncommon for the names/license numbers of all parties on site to be run.
Thank you this settles a point of discusion that my Girlfriend and I had. She was also the passenger at the time of the event. Her point was that he was checked because of his nervous behavior, and mine was that the officer almost always checks both.

Last edited:

CdwJava

confusedinKy said:
In an auto accident does the officer who writes the report check both drivers for wants/warrants?
Generally, yes. But it is not mandatory. Since you want to make sure everyone is properly licensed and insured, you generally run them for license status, warrants, and supervised release (probation and parole). But, there is no law (at least in my state) that requires us to make this check, but I'd be very surprised if it was not common procedure to do so.

- Carl

confusedinKy

Generally, yes. But it is not mandatory. Since you want to make sure everyone is properly licensed and insured, you generally run them for license status, warrants, and supervised release (probation and parole). But, there is no law (at least in my state) that requires us to make this check, but I'd be very surprised if it was not common procedure to do so.

- Carl
Thank you as well.

I also plan on asking my Girlfriends brother in law who is a Police officer in the city that I live in.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">