• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Indictment for trafficking in cocaine

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tigerweese

What is the name of your state?Ohio. About two weeks ago, there were 17 secret indictments handed down in our town ranging from trafficking in cocaine, crack, and cannabis. I am worried as a very close family member of mine used to do cocaine. But for the past 9 months has lived out of state and also does not do cocaine or any other drug. But I was curious as to; if there is a time frame that indictments in Ohio are only good for? Or are they indefinitely? Also is there anyway at all that I could find out if there is an indictment in Ohio out for this family member? Thank You

Some Random Guy

There are statutes of limitations for most crimes in every state. This covers the time frame between the crime (or its discovery for some cases) and the indictment. Once you are indicted, the charges are generally valid until the case is resolved at trail or until you're dead.

The statute of limitations time frame will be different for trafficking versus simple possession which you claim your family member was involved in.

If the indictments are secret, then you will not be able to find out if he was charged in those indictments.

FlyingRon

If the indictments are secret, then you will not be able to find out if he was charged in those indictments.
At least not until he actually gets arrested :)

The felony sol is 6 years, misdemeanors 2 years, some minor misdemeanors 6 mos.
(homicides have no SOL). Various assaults and other crimes against peace officers have
SOL of 20 years.

However, the SOL time ends with the indictment. The indictment is the "commencement of prosecution." After that you'll have to argue that your right to a speedy trial have been violated, but there is no statutory limit.

tigerweese

Indictment

Thank You very much. I have an old ORC but I was having trouble finding out the time frame. Thanks

At least not until he actually gets arrested :)

The felony sol is 6 years, misdemeanors 2 years, some minor misdemeanors 6 mos.
(homicides have no SOL). Various assaults and other crimes against peace officers have
SOL of 20 years.

However, the SOL time ends with the indictment. The indictment is the "commencement of prosecution." After that you'll have to argue that your right to a speedy trial have been violated, but there is no statutory limit.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">