• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Audio Recording of Loud Music from Neighbor a Felony?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jdrum

What is the name of your state? NH

We had an incident with a local police officer about a week ago. A neighbor who was 3 houses down from us was playing music outside. The music was so loud that we could not hear each other when we talked outside. When we went inside and closed all of the windows, we could still hear the music. The straw that broke the camels back was when one of my children hurt themselves because she could not hear me yell "stop" when the swing was about to hit her. We called the police and when they drove by, the music stopped. The police did not do anything since there was no music playing when they were there. As soon as they left, the music started again and was even louder. I called the police again and using a cell phone recorded a 30 sec clip of the music from my yard. I wanted to show the police that I was not lying and they were playing music at an excessive volume.

Another officer came and threatened to arrest me stating that the audio recording that I had made was without consent and was a Class A Felony. I argued that the people we broadcasting the music and had no expectation of privacy because they were broadcasting the music not just to their own yard but to all the yards in the neighborhood. The officer dismissed what I said and threatened again to confiscate my phone and arrest me. I searched NH law and found no information about this circumstance. Most had to do with the secret recording of conversations on private property. I did not go on the person yard to record them..I just recorded from my own yard what I heard. Thanks for any advice. " when the swing was about to hit her. We called the police and when they drove by, the music stopped. The police did not do anything since there was no music playing when they were there. As soon as they left, the music started again and was even louder. I called the police again and using a cell phone recorded a 30 sec clip of the music from my yard. I wanted to show the police that I was not lying and they were playing music at an excessive volume.

Another officer came and threatened to arrest me stating that the audio recording that I had made was without consent was a Class Felony. I argued that the people we broadcasting the music and had no expectation of privacy because they were broadcasting the music not just to their own yard but to all the yards in the neighborhood. The officer dismissed what I said and threatened again to confiscate my phone and arrest me. I searched NH law and found no information about this circumstance. Most had to do with the secret recording of conversations on private property. I did not go on the person yard to record them..I just recorded from my own yard what I heard. Thanks for any advice.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">