• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bail

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

keithper

What is the name of your state? TX
My son was arrested for DWI and I bailed him out, now he has vanished and the bail bonds people want me to pay the bail plus court costs and an investigator fee. My question is, if I refuse to pay, what if anything can happen to me and does it then fall upon my son to pay eventually?

CdwJava

YOU signed the bond, YOU owe the amount the bond was for.

What you essentially did was take out a conditional loan for his release. If he showed, you were only out the 10% or so that wsa the bondsman's fee. If he does NOT show, then the bondsman has to forfeit the total amount of the bond to the court and they are NOT going to be left holding that bag! When you signed the bond, you agreed to cover this.

I'm not sure if they can come after you for court fees or investigator costs, but they might. Read the paperwork. And is the amount is substantial enough, consult an attorney.

When/if he comes back, you can sue your son for the money. In the meantime, you had either best get your son to turn himself in thus recovering the bond (if it is not already forfeit to the court), or, pay the bondsman before he decides to seize your property or whatever else you signed for collateral.

This is why I tell EVERYONE I know: NEVER BAIL ANYONE OUT OF JAIL! I have heard this story far too many times. Yes, even if my own son (and I have three) were to be in jail, he would sit until he went to court.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">