• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

CA.93454 bored cops stole my stungun! i want it back

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ladyprimeevil

santa maria,CA
im driving down the road, had just left a motel because a lady had hired me to get video of her boyfriend and his little chacha fooling around.ok, its 2am, im rolling thru parking lot, but only once, i have camera in my hand.cop pulls into parking lot, begins to follow me down the road.he hits the lights, i pull over.
keep in mind, i own my car, no traffic violations,no prior arrests,( 25 yrs ago,trspassing.thats it) im on no probation/parole, not drinking or on drugs .
cop walksup to my window, i understand i probably didnt look right so hes checking me out, so i show him my camera and tell him what i was doing.he looks at my eyes, does the flashlight thing,asks me to step out of my car. i imeditly tell him i have a stungun in my front right pocket and put my hands up so he can get it..another cop pulls up, does the 'eye thing', count to 30 bit, i do, i pass all their tests.cop1 asks if he may search my car, i say yes,i also tell him to rewind the camera so he can what i had just filmed.he does.cop 2 is totally rude,loud, telling me i cant have stungun when im an exfelon...i said'im not an exfelon, no probation/warrents/ parole, ive never even been arrested ever for drugs/underinfluence/possestion anything like that' all the time, cop2 is playing with my stungun, calling me a dope fiend, hows he always an expert witness in court for this type thing, on and on... dude acts like i recently cought him cheating on tape or something..
so now they handcuff me, say theyre gonna impound my car, im asking why? he says he wants me to give pee sample at staion, or he will impound my car for 30 days!! so i said 'ok, if you dont impound my car, ill go give you a pee test right now' so they shut the door, me handcuffed inside, they talk for a few minutes, open the door and tell me its my 'lucky night', they have better things to do, for me to go home....so they unhook me, i get my keys back and ask for my stunguns... they refused to give them to me!!
well, they are not illegal, i am not an exfelon, i was not on drugs or booze, in my line of work i need them ( and i DID check local laws to be sure they were legal for me to carry) people dont like to be videotaped doing things wrong, so i need some kind of protection! im a 35female in a very nice car,i live alone and need to protect myself...i want them back!!!
do i go petiotion the court? goto police station itself? i never even got a ticket that night, for all i know they kept them.... what can i do?

CdwJava

ladyprimeevil said:
well, they are not illegal, i am not an exfelon, i was not on drugs or booze, in my line of work i need them ( and i DID check local laws to be sure they were legal for me to carry) people dont like to be videotaped doing things wrong, so i need some kind of protection! im a 35female in a very nice car,i live alone and need to protect myself...i want them back!!!
do i go petiotion the court? goto police station itself? i never even got a ticket that night, for all i know they kept them.... what can i do?
Contact the police department and ask to speak to someone about the return of the stun gun. If they refuse, ask them under what legal authority they are holding it. If it is evidence, ask them for information on the alleged offense ... if it is for safekeeping, ask how you can get it back. Chances are you'll get it back eventually, but you might have to go up the food chain at the police department or the sheriffs department - depending on what agency pulled you over (I assume it was Santa Maria PD).

If you have been convicted of any felony or criminal assault, then you cannot possess a stun gun. Also, if they have reason to believe you are a drug addict, you cannot possess it. However, without any convictions for drugs, it's going to be hard for them to prove that.

You should be able to get it back, but it might be a little bit of a pain to do.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">