• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

need advice on threats from brother

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ineedfreeadvice

What is the name of your state? Delaware

Okay, 18 months ago...yes, 18 months ago, my then 11 year nephew was clowning around with a bunch of kids at our church. He does not attend our church, but was there with my mom (his grandmother). Kids being kids....playing with some stickers.....and they kept taking them from each other and running away. No big deal until my neice (unrelated to my nephew.....she is my husband's sister's child) grabbed it back from my nephew by reaching over his shoulder (it was on his shirt). He turned away quickly, and as she pulled her hand back she accidently hit his chin. He in typical fasion became very mad and has an explosive temper. He kept saying she did it on purpose......by this time the kids had scatter, and my neice had moved to the other side of the auditorium. He started running towards her and then he hawled off and slapped her across the face. She is 18 months older than he is. My husband as well as about 15 people at least saw it as well**************my husband took off across the auditorium to stop it. He stepped in between my nephew and he said to never hit a girl. My nephew was going off at the mouth, and starting after my neice again. My husband blocked his way...and nephew started hitting at him. My husband that took hold of his arms and kept them behind his back....nephew starting cursing and kicking him......so he layed him on the ground......then with his knee kept his legs from kicking him. Nephew screaming the whole time at husband**************husband told him to not hit girls...and to say he wouldn't hit her again. Nephew refused.....and said I will tell my dad and he will kick your a**.

He never did say he was sorry or he wouldn't hit her again.....husband let him up. He left and went outside with kids**************saying he would have his dad beat him up. He never said anything other than that**************he was mad and he would have his dad beat him up.

Well, brother came over who is very loud and horrible temper.....not to mention very big and strong......and said that my husband bullied his son and he is afraid of him. He wants an apology...he refused to listen or say anything about the incident with my neice....except she is a tom boy and bigger.....which she wasn't**************as if that made it okay. My poor husband said he was sorry just to keep peace. He even went as far as to keep his family from pressing charges on my nephew**************..with no thanks from my brother.

Well, now that he is fighting with my mom.....and me ....he is threatening my husband with assault on his son.

How should we proceed with this? My brother has 10 warrants out for his arrest....everything from assault to violation of probation....so doubtful he will call the cops to his house, BUT I am not going to live by his threats.

It will be two years in October 2007....can he continue to threaten us after two years b/c it has to do with a minor child?

Should we just go ahead and file the report with the police ourselves......basically have his family do it....and we also call....????

What is the best advice here?

Thank you.

Ineedfreeadvice

good advice, thank you.

I will avoid him like the plaque. The part that is really the kicker here is that we several years ago went in on a beach place with him and my mom. Thankfully, the house is in my mother's name. He doesn't want to sell it, but we have been pushing b/c #1 I have a daughter that I don't want hit (I don't say that is the reason, but it is true) and #2 b/c he has such a huge temper and he is a big bully.

So he is coming out swinging....

I can't allow him to control us or threaten us**************

Does a "statue of limitations" apply to this? Meaning can he call the cops and say my husband "assaulted his son" after two years? It has been 18 months...and he is a dork for threatening now like this**************I will call the cops myself to protect my husband if that is what is necessary. I don't trust my brother as far as I can throw him.....which isn't even a millimeter.

MyHouse

By what you described, it doesn't sound like assault anyway. Your husband held the boy so he would not go after the girl anymore. And I doubt he wants to call the cops and draw attention to himself. He has no credibility. I think he is just blowing smoke.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">