• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

shoplifting (petite larceny and misapplication of property)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rasputin1

What is the name of your state? New York

Hi, I live in NYC and I am facing petite larceny and misapplication of property charges for shoplifting $232 worth of products from a retail store. I have a DAT for an arraignment in a month. Can you please tell me the relevance of the misapplication of property charge, what I will most likely face (jail, fines, fees, community service?), and I've heard that I could get an ACD or youthful offender status, but I do not know too much about this so can you please clarify these. Also, should i plead guilty at my arraignment if I am looking for youthful offender status or an ACD.

Thank you very much

FlyingRon

Misapplication is usually applied to people failing to return videos or other rental materials. Both it and the petit larceny (not petite unless you are making off with short women) are class A misdemeanors in NY which means you could get a $1000 fine and a year in jail for each one.

What you will get depends on your prior record, the circumstances of the case, and how good your lawyer is :)

If you are offered and ACD you will be given that option at the time of plea, you don't point to pleading guilty if the offer is made (just accept the offer).

You should talk to a lawyer before going futher, your're already contemplating mistakes.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">