• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

nasty boss....

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

MadamNikly

Hello, I'm so pleased to find a forum like this. This is kind of a long story, so please bear with me. My husband was working for an A/C company. His former employer called him and asked him back. My husband gave his employer one week's notice, with Saturday being his last day. On the last Friday of his last week (coincidentally the thirteenth), he was driving the company's box truck (which he was taking home every night) and accidentally went went under a low bridge, scraping the roof of the truck. He first called his boss right after he got home, and then called the police and went back to the scene of the accident so a police report could be written up (there was no damage to the bridge). His boss withheld his last paycheck, claiming he was waiting for the estimate of the damage to the truck. We spoke to an acquaintance who's an attorney, and was told that he could sue for 3 times the amount of his paycheck. We sued and went before an arbitrator. The arbitrator awarded us his entire paycheck plus app. 40% for interest. Just a little story behind this, outside of the courtroom, his boss was trying to scare him into just taking his paycheck, claiming he was going to lose, but if he were to win, he would only win his paycheck and then would have to wait for the sheriff to come get it, and that would take about 2 years. Also, before we sued, he was making the accident look like the reason behind his withholding his paycheck, then told the arbitrator that the accident had nothing to do with it. Today, we received in the mail that he is requesting a trial de nova. Also about a week ago, we received a demand letter for $3,000 for the accident. However, written on the bill from the repair shop, was that the insurance carrier had paid the bill, minus a $1,000 deductible. Also, the entire bill came out to (app.) $2,800, so where $3,000 came from, I do not know. My question would be, is my husband responsible for the $1,000 deductible (his boss had other employees that had other accidents and they did not have to repay the deductibles). Also, when we go to the trail, can we request a higher amount, the 3 times his original paycheck? thank you so much....sorry this is so long :Þ

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">