• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can my boss take back promised stocks?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

dogslife16

I worked for a venture capital firm in California. While there, we closed a transaction for which the client was to pay a fee and issue warrants for stock. Prior to issuing any warrants (Nov 8, 2000), my boss had me notify the client to issue 103,000 shares in the name of his family trust and 3,000 shares to me. I did this via e-mail w/copy to him (I have copy of this transmission). On Nov. 22, the client faxed a warrant in my name for 3,000 shares (I have a copy of this document). On Nov. 18, I was assaulted in my home and had to terminate my employment. My husband transfered from California to Colorado and I accompanied him. At the end of Dec., my boss asked me to return since my replacement had backed out. I did so. I then found a document by my boss to the client requesting they reissue my 3,000 shares to his brother and sister. He said he took them back because I had quit. I stated that since I had been an employee from inception to successful closing of the transaction, that I was eligible and considered it part of my compensation.

Do I have any recourse? He did give them to me and the warrant was issued to me. Do I write a letter to the client requesting they reissue the 3,000 to me as my boss's ownership and any associated rights were relinquished when he requested the shares be issued to me?

I would appreciate any help you can give me. I haven't been able to work since the assault and do not want to be a victim again.

Thank you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">