• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

criminial mischeif/felony burglary charges..set up

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

minneec35

What is the name of your state? Florida

I have been living in Florida for the past 14 months, and my fiancee & I had plans to return to Mass. on Wed. June 6. We had a vehicle that we were looking to get rid of. We had a couple friends that on Wed. May 30, we went to see if they wanted to buy it from us. Our friends were not home from work when we arrived, we called them, and they asked us to wait.

While waiting we remembered another man in the neighborhood who had expressed possible interest the week before. We went to his home together and knocked on the door. He was not home. We returned to our friend home and waited.

We went back to that guys house about an hour later to knock again. I noticed that the screen on his porch door, which was deadlocked from the outside, was wripped. We waited several minutes for an answer and decided to go do some other errands and return later. I, out of frustration of waiting around with no results, placed both hands on the metal frame of the window of the door where the screen was wripped and leaned on the door. As I was pushing off to leave the door buckled and broke. It caused me to fall, injuring my hand. My fiancee came to my aide and we decided we should stick around until he returns to explain what happened and offer money to replace the door.

At that time, we did not realize that a neighbor had witnessed this and assumed we were attempting to break in. Neither one of us entered the porch nor was anything on the porch disturbed. The neighbor who witnessed this has a felony record herself and we had a dispute with her in the past. She feels we owe her some money for letting us stay at her home for a few days prior, however we babysat her kids and provided her with food and gas as a tradeoff.

Allegedly, her 7 yr old son saw us at the door as it broke and ran to tell his mom that we were trying to break into the home, that we had "kicked the door down". She allegedly looked out the window and saw us walking away from the residence and called 911.

About 20 min later 5 sherrif appeared and questioned us regarding this. We explained what happened. They left.

About an hour later, they came back and arrested both of us for burgalry of an unoccupied dwelling (felony) and criminal mischeif (misdemeanor) due to speaking with the owner of the house and expaining that his friend & neighbor 's son had seen us leaving the property and suspected us of trying to illegally enter.
We were interviewed by a detective and placed in county jail.

I have since been bonded out, however my fiancee remains on a much higher bond due to having a prior arrest about a year ago in which the charges were dropped for lack of evidence against him.

It has now been a week and neither of us has even been assigned a public defender. I have 3 children and a job in MA that I am suppose to be back to at this time. My fiancee is racking up costs for being detained in jail, and we have yet to be able to discuss this with a public defender. The state atty. has 45 days to either drop charges or pursue.

We do not know what the owner of the residence has told authorities. We do know he is good friends with the woman who called the police, who claims we owe her money. Its a 7 year olds perception against us. Nothing was missing from the residence, no fingerprints were found at the residence other than the outside of the porch door.

My fiancee and I are both recovering alcoholics/drug addicts (over 2 years) and apparently the owner of the residence has been known to sell marijuana. So the police felt they had probable cause to believe we were attempting to steal money or drugs.

We're trying to begin a new, sober life together and this just sucks! I don't know what to do, where to turn. I don't have the money to bond out my fiancee or for a private atty. I'm totally stuck. I have never been arrested before. I've never even had a speeding ticket and I'm almost 36 years old. Please help!!! Someone told me to look into a writ of Habeas Corpus???? for my fiancee??? Would that be advised to pursue? Any advice would be very much appreciated. Thank you

Last edited:

FlyingRon

Paragraphs are your friend.

I'm confused by the story? Why were you beating on the door of a house you say was your friend's and hence is known to be 1. vacant, 2. frequented by druggies.

That's "writ" on "rid" of habeas corpus. I'd recommend trying to see if there is some sort of legal aid group that can help you here. Alternatively, go to the public defender's office in the county you are charged inFrankly, if you fiancee was already out on bail for a prior arrest, it would seem unlikely things will go easy for him.

As for the charges, you'll have to wait out the legal process.

minneec35

explanation

Sorry about the lack of paragraphs.

The home in question was not vacant, the homeowner was not there and the owner has been known to sell drugs. The whole neighborhood is litered with druggies. We are in recovery, we were just trying to unload a vehicle for a few bucks before we left for MA. One of the reasons for leaving the area is to change people, places, things as we want to live a sober life together and its difficult to do when all your "old friends are drug addicts". We didn't bang the door down. The screen was ripped and when I leaned on the metal frame where the screen would normally be attached the door, which was very old and beat up, buckled and broke causing me to fall.

My fiancee was out on bail of another charge. He was previously arrested over a year ago on a criminal charge that was since dropped by the State with not further action required. No probation, fines, nothing.

Thank you for the correction. I have since discovered it is Writ of Habeas Corpus. Is this an avenue to follow in this situaition??

We feel the only reason for the call to police is the woman who called did not see anything other than us leaving the front of the property. However, she is angry with us over a previous financial dispute. She is also just been released from house arrest for felony burglary of a Post office. Of course the police did not know that at the time and I'm not sure if they do now. Would her credibility and motive for doing this to us be considered?

Last edited:

Just Blue

If you click on the edit button of your first post, and add some white space, you might get more replies...;)

minneec35

Huh???

Who's not gonna be nice, the neighbor who called the police or the courts???

I need advice, really. This whole thing is ridiculous**************..

fairisfair

the replies aren't going to be nice.

Nobody is going to believe your c0ck and bull story, including it seems, a 7 year old child.:rolleyes: Who hangs around someone's home (a stranger no less) based on the premise that they "might" have an interest in a car? Who feels so at ease as to lean up against someone's house, to the extent that they cause the door to "burst" open.

I don't believe your story, and I am not even looking at the damage that you caused, or your questionable history.

It is going to take alot more than paragraphs and white spaces to fix that.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">