• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

moniey owed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

leth55

I am a general contractor in Illinois. My best friend hired me to remodel his place of business after a fire. We agreed to do the work per hour per man. He bought all the material. Before the project started he, I and my foreman walked thru the building and my friend pointed out the work he wanted done. At that time I told him the work would cost in the price range of 10,000 to 15,000 dollars. While we were remodeling the building he ordered us to remodel three other rooms in the building and many other numerous things.

When the project was completed my friend told me he was out of money and was going to sell the building and business. I had billed him for 23,415.00 for all the labor. Before my lien right ran out I hired a lawyer to file a mechanic's lien. This lawyer filed it on the wrong piece of property. He filed the lien on a piece of property that the business owner owned across the street. Thankfully my banker told me about the mistake because the bank had this businessman and my company as customers. So I hired another attorney to refile the lien and he too filed it on the same wrong piece of property.

Now I am suing for a judgement against the businessman. He claims he will file bankruptcy if the judgement is against him. What can I do? I'm having a hard time trusting anyone to represent me in court but I will have a lawyer there with me. Can someone educate me so I can be informed of all my options. The businessman has since let the bank take the building and it's contents back and the bank has since leased the building to another party. Thank you for any help you may give.

Jim

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">