• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Expungement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pokeysmom

What is the name of your state? Virginia

I've tried to read other threads to answer my question and I'm obviously not sharp enough to find the answers I'm looking for.

My daughter was arrested and convicted of DUI in 8/2003 at the age of 18. She completed all the court requirements (fines, VASAP, probation) and got her driver's license back in a year.

Since then she has gotten a BA in Administration of Justice. In the spring of 2006, she applied for and was accepted to Officer Candidate School (OCS) in the USMC. During the second week of the ten week training period she fell during a training run, fracturing her ankle and tearing two ligaments in her foot. She was sent home and has since undergone reconstructive surgery and will be released in early July to return to training.

Unfortunately, she has been told that she will more than likely be unable to pass the medical screening now due to this injury so she decided to try to begin a career in law enforcement. She applied to the local Law Enforcement Academy and her application was denied because of the DUI. She was told to try to get the DUI expunged and then to reapply.

We have been trying to find out if she is eligible to have the DUI expunged from her record but everything we have been able to find reflects that because she was actually convicted of the offense, this is not an option for her.

It saddens me to think that something she did the summer after graduating high school is going to keep her from ever being able to pursue a law enforcement career.

Is this something that anyone can give us an answer for?

Thanks for your time and sorry about the long-winded post.

FlyingRon

You can see an attorney, but the answer is misdemeanor convictions are not expunged in Virginia. The only thing that will remove record of a conviction is a pardon, which you are unlikely to get for a DUI.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">