• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Probation violation question for a DUI charge?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

phllysfinest11

I am on probation for 3 years for a DUI charge that was lowered to reckless driving. I have finished a year with only 1 initial drug test and am getting the urge lately to smoke some weed from time to time. Regardless on what anyone thinks of this decision, because I know the consequences are ultimately on me, is it possible that if I do get a drug test down the line and its dirty will I get a warning or will it definately add to my probation? Is it the POs decision or will it go in front of a judge right away?
The reason I ask is because I have a good relationship with my PO and I think he genuinely likes me, and I have seen his family out before in the past. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks

FlyingRon

Probation violations with your probation officer and then goes to the judge. Yes your PO may have some discretion and he may be friendly but his attitude towards you may seriously change if you start causing him problems like failing drug tests or otherwise violating the law (and terms of your probations). PO's love guys who are just checkmarks (fully live up to the probation terms without question).

Further, you are deluded if you think the worst thing that can happen to you is an extension of your probation. If you end up in front of a judge (you didn't give a state, but if it were virginia), you'd likely spend a few days in jail. A DUI plead to Reckless (when they would even consider that) here would almost certainly have a suspended jail sentence in addition to the probation that would be unsuspended in a violation.

sjmjuly

Why even risk it? There is NO WAY in HELL I would EVER risk getting into more trouble if on probation. It's just not worth it, and I won't even go into the whole illegal issue. I was arrested in Maryland for DUI in March and go to court in a couple of weeks. I am praying
that I receive what is called "Probation before Judgement" (Maryland first time offender program) and guarantee I would never consider violating the probation requirements. Don't risk it. Stay clean and finish your probation. Then do whatever you want. Though I do not agree with pot smoking, you are an adult and can make your own choices.

BigMistakeFl

BigMistakeFl

Agree with SJM.... when I was on probation and my license was suspended, I could not believe how badly I missed the priviledge of driving. I'd always sworn I was ready to trade my car for a horse; but once the right was taken away, it was depressing. Others I knew drove anyway, even though they risked VOP and arrest. The closest I ever got was to sit in my driveway with the motor running.

Don't do anything to screw up your probation. Do whatever it takes to follow the rules and you'll be free soon to never screw up again.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">