• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How many times can a state try to expidite and change their minds?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

warbar

What is the name of your state? New Jersey

Hi.. I have a friend that has been arrested on an outstanding warrant. The warrant is for failure to appear for his second court date after he served his time for a drug possesion charge. The arrest warrant is from 8 years ago. He was arrested in Kansas a couple years ago for it and New Jersey wanted to extridite him, but changed their mind at the last minute because they didn't want to pay for it, so they turned him loose. He was arrested a few days ago again when they ran his ID. Again New Jersey wants to extridite him. He has since lost his job because of this. So my two main questions are.. 1. If they had the chance to do this before and turned him loose, can they keep doing it? and 2. If they can't do it, does he have any kind of recourse?

Thanks for your help. It is greatly appreciated

garrula lingua

Technically, they can keep doing it until he clears up the warrant.

Wherever he goes, he can be arrested and held until NJ decides to extradite or not.

He has to go back and clear up that warrant.

Just Blue

What is the name of your state? New Jersey

Hi.. I have a friend that has been arrested on an outstanding warrant. The warrant is for failure to appear for his second court date after he served his time for a drug possesion charge. The arrest warrant is from 8 years ago. He was arrested in Kansas a couple years ago for it and New Jersey wanted to extridite him, but changed their mind at the last minute because they didn't want to pay for it, so they turned him loose. He was arrested a few days ago again when they ran his ID. Again New Jersey wants to extridite him. He has since lost his job because of this. So my two main questions are.. 1. If they had the chance to do this before and turned him loose, can they keep doing it? and 2. If they can't do it, does he have any kind of recourse?

Thanks for your help. It is greatly appreciated
1. Yes. Every time he gets "run" through the system, he will be arrested ...over and over and over...

2. His recourse is to hire an attorney and go to New Jersey and turn himself in. The quicker he resolves this, the sooner he can relax.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">