• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Neighbor dispute question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Hadit

What is the name of your state? California

Our neighbor has been throwing paint over the fence into our yard for the past year, over 20 times and counting. He is a painter. He denies knowing anything about this. We have had the police over there twice but have no proof. The paint is water-based so it can be washed off.

If we videotape him and catch him in the act, what happens next? We don't want any trouble. We'd just like to enjoy the privacy of our own back yard without paint all over the cement. What charges would be brought against him if we decided to have him arrested? We just want to be left alone.

Any advice?

Last edited:

FlyingRon

I don't know if a latex based paint is classified as a hazardous material with specific disposal rules in CA, but if so, there may be other charges.... Carl?
Around here we just let the paint dry up (there's stuff you can add to accellerate that) and then throw it away as a solid (this is what the county here wants us to do). Of course, California is a bit more bizarre. When ever I enter that state they stick a label on me saying I've been known to cause cancer in the state of California.

Hadit

Thank you

Hi,

Thanks for your responses. We don't want this to snowball into a huge thing, but these neighbors are crazy and I worry that if we have them arrested, if that's possible for vandalism, then they'll show up at our doorstep with a gun.

We can't understand why they're doing this, but our privacy has been totally invaded and since we were there with the police it seems like they're just taunting/daring us to do something.

What would you do? :)

CdwJava

Tape it and show the police. It might be vandalism, but that might depend on your DA. Some DAs seem to think that if it washes off with a hose there's no damage and no foul (vandalism requires a dollar value for damage). Others will assume there is a dollar value to your time and water and charge it. At the very least the police should then be able to jack the neighbor up and tell him or her to knock it off.

- Carl

Hadit

Thank you

Thank you, Carl.

It's all so petty and I don't know how it will resolve, but we have to get them to stop doing it.

Thanks for your advice.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">