• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Change charges from a felony to a misdermear

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pcannon15

What is the name of your state? Georgia.

Back in 1991, I work at a company and was fired and charge with theft my taken in the amount of $5,000. I went to court, and it was showing as a misdermeaner. I was late with some of my payments and went back to the court and could not afford a attorney and I only owe $2,000 and they change it to a felony. The funds were all paid back in 1995. Is there any way I can petition the court to change this. It's real hard trying to find a job. I had a good job for ten years and was layoff and now since every job does a back ground check, it's hard finding a job. When I applied for jobs I be honest and I still don't hear back from them. What Can I DO?

Last edited:

Bretagne

Sounds like you got a deal; if you would have paid fines + restitution off and successfully completed probation within a period of time your conviction would have been at a misdemeanor level offense. A theft charge for the amount of $5,000 would be a felony.

Check with your probation officer and your old attorney for more details. Find the minutes from your sentencing hearing. We can't give you any better advice without knowing exactly what you were charged with and exactly how you were sentenced.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">