• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Virginia Resident with Ohio DUI

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

virginia569

What is the name of your state? VA

I blew over a .08 while passing through a state police checkpoint in Mason, OH. I will be going back to court in the next 2-6 months and will most likely receive a conviction. I am wondering how VA treats out of state DUI's? Currently my license is suspended in the state of Ohio until my court date but I don't know how VA will treat this.

1. Is my license in VA suspended immediately or upon the actual conviction?
2. Can I go to the DMV and get a new license or do I have to wait until my court date and sentencing in Ohio?

What should I do???

Thanks.

FlyingRon

If you get suspended in OH, you will be suspended in VA. You will be blocked from getting a license in VA until you resolve the OH suspension. In addition the points will transfer to your Virginia license.

sjmjuly

The state of Ohio does not have the jurisdiction to suspend your VA license. That's why the arresting officer did not take your VA license from you when you were booked. Your driving PRIVLEDGES are suspended in Ohio and you may not legally operate a motor vehicle while in Ohio. Depending on Ohio law and how they share information with other states will determine when and how fast they share the arrest with VA.
If and when your VA license suspends, the DMV will notify you in writing of the suspension. They are only required to mail the notification to the address they have on file for you. If you have moved and have not changed your address with them, that is your responsibility and would not be a defense if you are pulled over and it's found that your license is suspended and you claim you were not notified.
Most states participate in the driver compact which shares info with other states, but you are currently under an administrative suspension in ohio which is different than a suspension which results from the actual conviction, so I am not sure when Ohio will notify Virginia.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">