• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

DUI first offense CA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ekim5289

What is the name of your state? California

So i had my first DUI 4 nights ago. It was a traumatizing experience for me. I'm only 18 years old and I was on the way home from a local bar that doesn't card. I was nearly home and when i turned that last right into my neighborhood I lost control, swirved, and hit a tree. Immediately my neighbor called the cops and within a minute they were at the sight.

Once there they pulled me aside, asked if i drank, i said i did, and minutes later rushed me to the E.R. At the E.R. they held me in custody, took down my report, took 2 breathalyzers, and 1 blood test. They didn't tell me my BAC and gave me a yellow paper stating that i can claim in after 10 days. I got my temporary license and my court date in a little over a month.

What might happen to me? and what should i do? if anything, i know my license is suspended for a year. This fall i am starting school at Cal State Fullerton, and im currently working as a waiter in a restaurant. Will they at any chance give me a Critical Need Restriction I.D. to get to work or school? I have no rides to both and the only way possible is to take a bus to both, which is inconveniant and will take me hours. Someone please help. Thanks

garrula lingua

Probably not.
You do have to complete a six-month alcohol program instead of a 3 month program as the BAC is over .15.

In some jurisdictions, county jail for 48 hrs is ordered on a first DUI (their discretion).
If so, you should get credit for the day you were booked, and if you were in custody past midnight, possibly 48 hrs.

Flying Ron gave you a good synopsis of the consequences.
A Judge has six months of jail time over your head for the next 3 years while you're on probation. They rarely order jail for a first-time DUI; they do have the power.

You should know the Prosecutor's offer at your first hearing - the arraignment and plea.

It wouldn't hurt if you attended some Alcohol Anonymous meetings before court.
Get a signature showing that you attended the meeting(s) and bring it with you to court so your atty can show the Prosecutor you are trying to ensure this doesn't happen again & because you know you need it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">