• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Convict asking for forgiveness of victim (a business)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Alpha13

What is the name of your state? California (doesn't matter for the question however)

Hey guys,

A few years ago when I was a juvenile I did a paper note robbery of a bank and was caught and convicted as a juvenile. Due to the circumstances of the case my record could not get sealed. My legal counsel has informed me that my last line of action is to see if the victim will agree to allow me to retroactively reduce the charge to extortion so that I can have my case sealed.

Talk about karma. The entity that I committed a crime against now has control over whether I may get my record sealed and move on, or carry my conviction for the rest of my life. They have no incentive to help me either, so as my lawyer told me, it is unlikely that the bank will agree to reduce the charge against me. Still I will try.

I would like any helpful advice about what I should say to them to help my case as I have no idea what I should say. Any advice?

I imagine this question will be a magnet for people to berate me so I'll just say that I'm not a criminal anymore and I am sorry for what I did.

TomD1974

It would really be tough for someone on this forum to advise you regarding what to say without a great deal more knowledge of the specifics and the players involved. You say that you have legal counsel. Why not ask him/her, assuming they are more familiar with the situation?

On the face of it it sounds like a real long shot, and that you'd have to come up with something more creative than "I am REALLY sorry" and "I just want this off of my record". But is also seems like it can't hurt to try as long as there are no outstanding legal issues between you and them.

xylene

Try this - honesty.

"I did wrong.

I hurt you, I made your staff fearful, I cost you money.

I'm a sinner and I was wrong.

I want to atone and leave my past alone.

I was a thug who took power into my hands.

I was a criminal.

Now, I am at your mercy.

Your power to forgive me could help me get my life on a positive track.

Please forgive me my sins - I want to pay them back.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">