• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Police search acceptable in lost wallet?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

adrianaburke

What is the name of your state? Arizona

If a lost wallat is turned into a police station, do they have the right to go thru it? If so, and if they find a ficticious id in it, can they charge you for it? The real drivers license is in the clear slot, it would be the first thing they would see when they opened it so there would be no need for them to try and find out who's it is... Please help!

FlyingRon

What is the name of your state? Arizona

If a lost wallat is turned into a police station, do they have the right to go thru it? If so, and if they find a ficticious id in it, can they charge you for it? The real drivers license is in the clear slot, it would be the first thing they would see when they opened it so there would be no need for them to try and find out who's it is... Please help!
I suspect they have a routine of inventorying the contents of found items especially things that contain sensitive/valuable things like wallets.

Did this happen to you? Were you charged?

CdwJava

adrianaburke said:
If a lost wallat is turned into a police station, do they have the right to go thru it?
They sure do. Why wouldn't they? You no longer have an expectation of privacy in a lost item, and the police have an obligation to attempt to identify the owner of the wallet, and to inventory any valuable property within.

If so, and if they find a ficticious id in it, can they charge you for it?
It depends on state law. They probably can charge you. I would.

The real drivers license is in the clear slot, it would be the first thing they would see when they opened it so there would be no need for them to try and find out who's it is...
Sure it would. If they did not look, and you claimed you had $1,000 or a winning lottery ticket in it, then the finding officers could be accused of theft. So, they inventory the wallet.

Did you get charged? Or are you afraid to go pick up your wallet because you might be?

- Carl

adrianaburke

the wallet hasn't been turned into the police station, i am just wondering what will happen if it does... the wallet was lost in a different state, so I don't know if that makes a difference as well? it wasn't lost in the state of residency. also, it was lost a month and a half ago so i am pretty sure if someone were to turn it in they would either send it to the address on the license already... can they only charge you if you go pick it up?

CdwJava

adrianaburke said:
the wallet hasn't been turned into the police station, i am just wondering what will happen if it does... the wallet was lost in a different state, so I don't know if that makes a difference as well?
It's a crime in the state where the false ID was found.

it wasn't lost in the state of residency. also, it was lost a month and a half ago so i am pretty sure if someone were to turn it in they would either send it to the address on the license already... can they only charge you if you go pick it up?
They can charge you whether you pick it up or not.

Oh, and may I suggest that you change your circle of friends! I caught another of your posts and you seem to be on a downward spiral to oblivion. Drinking, dope smoking "friends", encounters with the cops, now false ID ... perhaps it's time to re-evaluate the road you're on.

- Carl

CdwJava

I am a perpetual optimist (cautious, but always hopeful). Seeing so much crud, if I weren't I'd become morose and depressed. So, I look to hope and faith beyond myself. :D

- Carl

monroe00

this actually happened to a friend of mine.. i was wondering if anyone knows how long after the wallet is found that they can press charges? also, what if he lost it on vacation in a different state?

CdwJava

monroe00 said:
this actually happened to a friend of mine.. i was wondering if anyone knows how long after the wallet is found that they can press charges? also, what if he lost it on vacation in a different state?
The statute of limitations for the offense will be determined by the state where the wallet (and the contraband) was found.

- Carl

monroe00

i am pretty sure his was completely fake?.. it wasn't someone elses.. what does that mean? does anyone by any chance know what the statute of limitations is for this in maryland?

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">