• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

False Claims

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MerlinC

What is the name of your state? Texas

I received a letter from a cable company informing me that I had an unauthorized connection to their cable system.

Should I expect any further action from them, as in cable theft charges.

I have been in the same apartment for over six years and subscribe to a satellite service for television channels and have never subscribed or received cable service in all that time. I specifically looked at the cable input when I moved in looking for the Master TV service that was provided (there are two cable connectors) by the landlord and to be sure there was no service still provided, so I don't know what information they are using to justify that claim.

Also, how does one fight false accusations of cable theft?

Last edited:

Some Random Guy

Write your own letter in reply, explaining the facts and your existing subsciption to another provider. Ask them to explain why they mistakenly think you are stealing their service and ask them to verify that it is not in fact one of your neighbors who is committing the theft.

Send your letter certified return receipt requested and keep a copy for your records.

If you do nothing, then expect a lawsuit. or charges for theft of services.

MerlinC

Thank you, I'll follow your advice and get a letter off to them asap.

It seems to be quite a flaw in the system if all a cable company has to do is make the accusation of cable theft to cause an innocent person grief with the possibility of both civil and criminal charges.

In this case, they have complete control of their locked cable box so either there is an incompetent auditor or an incompetent service rep that hooked me up by mistake or worse, a commission of fraud in their charges.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">