• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Restricted License delays to get back the normal license??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kelvinjai

What is the name of your state? CA

I had a DUI about 6 months ago and already completed all classes, SR-22 as requested by DMV. About four months ago, I went to DMV and get a restriced license back so I can at least drive to work. Based on the letter sent by DMV earlier, I could get back my license in early June. So today I stop by DMV and guess what, they refuse to give me one and said I need to wait for another 2 months. The reason is I have applied for a restriced license and it last for 6 months :confused:

So I got "punished" for 2 months because of the restricted license. Do you know if it is true??

Thanks in advance... :)

kelvinjai

Let me guess... you got caught for DUI while operating under a restricted license?
no no no.. i apologize for the confusion.. let me make it clear:

Nov 06 -> Got DUI
Feb 07 -> Got letter from DMV saying my license is suspensed from Feb 07 to June 07
Feb 07 -> Start the 3-month DUI program
Feb 07 -> Apply for restricted license
May 07 -> Complete the 3-month DUI program
June 07 -> Try to get the regular license but got rejected because the restricted licesne last for 6 months. DMV told me I could get my license back now if I didn't get the restricted license back in Feb 07. They asked me to come back in Auguest 07 instead.

So that's why I said I got "punished" for 2 months because I applied for the restricted license earlier... :mad:

BigMistakeFl

BigMistakeFl

Don't know if this will help or not, but there was a screw-up with my suspension. The judge said six months, DMV said one year. That's not the problem, in my state you get the longer of the two no matter. What did get screwed up was the court order had the wrong date and that would have made my suspension a year and a half. Nobody could fix it, court pointed to DMV, they pointed to the court, and my lawyer forgot who I was.

I did a little research and found the top people at my state's DMV, found street addresses and wrote directly to them personally. I stated my case, quoted a few cases from further research, and asked for help. I got a letter that it had been fixed; like magic.

Sometimes you're the only advocate for your case.

LakersFan

They are correct If you don't apply for a restricted license the suspension is for four months, but six if you get a restricted license. I know this sucks and it's a stupid rule.

kelvinjai

Thanks..... :)

Yeah.. this is stupid... :mad: how can they punish a guy for 2 more months by applying for a restricted license.. $@#$@#%@#$%@#%

BigMistakeFl

BigMistakeFl

The same can be true in some areas for applying for a temporary license, pending the outcome of a DMV hearing. It only delays the onset of the suspension. My feeling is it's better to get started and get it over with. You can delay the knocks, but you're still going to have to take them.

kelvinjai

The same can be true in some areas for applying for a temporary license, pending the outcome of a DMV hearing. It only delays the onset of the suspension. My feeling is it's better to get started and get it over with. You can delay the knocks, but you're still going to have to take them.

Yeap.. in fact I am doing the whole thing as soon as I can. I guess they just don't wanna give me back that license easily..

I will just wait for 2 more months.. hopefully there will be no another surprise at that time..

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">