• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

22 year old dwi

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mayday

What is the name of your state? Ia. I live in Ia now. I have lived here since 1988. In 1985 I had a DWI in Mn. Today I found out that Mn has a flag on my Ia drivers license when I went to renew my Ia license. Mn. wants a $680.00 re-instatement fee for MN even though I have renewed my Ia license now 4 times. This incident is 22 years old! I was told it is a result of the 9/11 new security statutes even though the DWI is 16 yrs prior to it!! Doesn't this have a statute of limitations? Sounds like someone is trying to generate revenue from cold files if you ask me. I have no intention of getting a Mn drivers license. Any response and advice will be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance, MayDay What is the name of your state?Ia. In addition to the above info I would like to add that I did participate in the court proceedings, complete community service, attend AA meetings, met with my probation/alcohol counselor, and attended DWI school. In other words I completed all court ordered sentencing. There may have been a small fine in addition to all this, but I don't remember now how much. Mn was one of the first to establish max penalties. I'm sure they're even more strict now compared to 22 yrs ago!

Last edited:

sjmjuly

Same thing happened to my friend. She had a DUI in Oregon 19 yrs ago, but moved to Hawaii and obtained a Hawaii driver's license. She renewed it numerous times until this last time and she was told she needed to pay a reinstatement fee for her Oregon license.
If you had a MN license when you were convicted of the DWI and your MN license was suspended, it sounds like you moved to Iowa and never reinstated your MN license. That's why the state is requiring you to pay a reinstatement fee. I think $680 is a little high, but you will have to end up paying the fee.

Bretagne

You're stuck because of the Interstate Compact system. Most states are members, including Minnesota and Iowa.

Your MN license was never reinstated after you were revoked for your DWI in '85. Even though you have no intention of moving to MN, your MN revocation will affect your privilege to drive in other states.

Now, the reinstatement fee in MN is $680, plus I believe there is an $18.50 assessment plus you have to re-take the written test (which focuses on drugs + alcohol).

I know, sounds ridiculous. But, I'd advise you to jump through the hoops, or this can REALLY screw with your future privilege to drive. For example, you don't have a valid IA license now, so if you get busted you'll get charged with driving after revocation/suspension. Then if you pay that fine, you'll get revoked AGAIN. It's a pandora's box, kind of.

Who did you talk to in MN? Call 651.296.2025 That will put you into a phone tree and you'll be able to talk with someone at DVS who works specifically with revocations and suspensions. I'm sure they'll just confirm what you already know, but perhaps they can waive the written test so you don't have to come back up here to take that.

Good luck!

mayday

Reply for Bretange

I talked to the Mn number and they are sending me the official paperwork. I also talked to my attorney generals office who referred me to the attorneys at the dept of transportation for Ia. I do have a valid Ia license at this time. I have to forward a copy of the paperwork to the Ia DOT and we'll go from there. I honestly didn't know there was more to do after appearing in court in Mn., doing the community service in lieu of the fine, meeting with the parole officer, going to AA, and attending DWI class. I moved to Chicago after all this so it's not like I ran to Ia. to get away from it. It's just plain weird that it's coming to bite me 22 yrs after the fact. $680.00 is a 1 time payable fee. No payments either. If I remember right Mn. had one of the toughest DWI laws for the time period.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">