• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

can misdemeanors change to felonies in different states?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tishters

What is the name of your state? [moving to] TX

just came across a situation i'd never heard of, and for the life of me i can't find the answer to this anywhere...

my partner was caught with some pot when he was 19 and going to school in providence, RI. he was charged with a misdemeanor and fined.

so fast forward 9 years to this afternoon...we got a call from the condos we just got accepted at in houston saying that his record is coming up with a felony drug possession. they have the date (and the pot) right, but not the felony part. i know he's telling the truth b/c it's never come up before in typical work or apt. rental background checks, and he votes, blah, blah, blah.

so what i'm wondering is this: do individual states assign a misdemeanor or felony charge according to *their* own laws? that sounds fishy to me, but we're at a loss otherwise. we thought that maybe TX does b/c it's known as a tough state to be a criminal in (not that he's even touched pot in years at this point :rolleyes: ) ...so they decide to call him a felon as though he were charged there under their laws?

we of course tried calling the courthouse there, but had no luck today. we'll try again tomorrow. but in the meantime i feel sick over this and was hoping to get some sort of answer so maybe i'll be able to sleep later...

thanks so much in advance!

Kane

It has nothing to do with Texas, or Texas laws. They hired somebody (a private company) to do a criminal record search, and the company screwed up. Or they can't read a criminal history report. Or your partner is lying to you.

Either which way, it's between you and the Condo association. Buy your own criminal history report and see what it says. If the condo's issue is 'felony' v. 'misd.,' maybe that will be enough to get them to let you in.

In Texas, anything less than 4 oz is a misdemeanor.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">