• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I'm having to carry SR-22 insurance in a state which I don't live?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kisk

What is the name of your state? AL (current) / TN (previous)

In May, 2006, I was living in TN. While traveling back from vacation, I was pulled over in AL and later convicted of a DUI (even though I only blew a 0.06 -- the limit is 0.08 in AL!!). Anyway, about two weeks after receiving the DUI, I had moved permanently to AL. A few weeks went by and I finally received a letter to surrender my TN drivers license for 1 year. Because my license was revoked in TN, I was also unable to obtain a DL in AL.

I am now finally able to reinstate my TN and then get my AL license, however now I hear that to get my TN DL reinstated, I must pay $150 and also obtain and keep SR-22 insurance IN TN for 3 years. What kind of crap is that? I didn't receive the DUI in TN, I no longer live in TN, and I have no plans to even visit TN. Is there some type of miscommunication here or is this how it works? It seems ridiculous that I would need to hold insurance in a state which I don't live or travel.

Can anyone give me some advice on what I should do here? Also, should I expect to pay anything to obtain my license in AL once I get the TN crap taken care of? I was told by a lady at the AL DMV that my record in the state of AL was "clear".

Thanks!

seniorjudge

In May, 2006, I was living in TN. While traveling back from vacation, I was pulled over in AL and later convicted of a DUI (even though I only blew a 0.06 -- the limit is 0.08 in AL!!). Anyway, about two weeks after receiving the DUI, I had moved permanently to AL. A few weeks went by and I finally received a letter to surrender my TN drivers license for 1 year. Because my license was revoked in TN, I was also unable to obtain a DL in AL.

If you read the statute under which you were convicted, you will find that this is perfectly legal. Having under the limit is not necessarily a pass to home.

I am now finally able to reinstate my TN and then get my AL license, however now I hear that to get my TN DL reinstated, I must pay $150 and also obtain and keep SR-22 insurance IN TN for 3 years. What kind of crap is that? I didn't receive the DUI in TN, I no longer live in TN, and I have no plans to even visit TN. Is there some type of miscommunication here or is this how it works? It seems ridiculous that I would need to hold insurance in a state which I don't live or travel.

You had a TN license when you got the drunk driving.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">