• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pizza guy on AF base

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TigerAnusStew

New Mexico

I'm a pizza delivery guy in new mexico and i make regular runs to our local airbase. Resently an incident with some pizza guys smuggling weapons on another base has led the commander to order searches of every pizza delivery vehicle entering the base.

The searches have been going on for a while now and recently one guard in paricular has tried to prevent me from observing the searches wich makes me very uncomfortable as i don't trust anyone especially rent a cops around my personal belongings unobserved. Many of the guards have made insinuations that legitimize my and many of my co-workers fear that they may try to plant illegal contraband in one of our vehicles.

So my question is do i have a right to observe these vehicle searches? I know the searches are legal if i want to get ont he base, but shouldn't i be allowed to ensure my freedom isn't jeopordized by a action hungry ex-jar head witha gun?

xylene

Inform your manager you will no longer be making pizza deliveries past the checkpoint.

Contact the base administration that you were threatened with false arrest by the rent-a-cop.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I take this to mean the MP's are searching OP's vehicle. MP's are NOT rent-a-cops, and it is a slap in the face to our military men and women to even suggest it.

xylene

I take this to mean the MP's are searching OP's vehicle. MP's are NOT rent-a-cops, and it is a slap in the face to our military men and women to even suggest it.
You watch too many movies. MP's do not man the perimeter checkpoints of any domestic base I have EVER seen since the terror war. There aren't MPs on perimeter checkpoints at Quantico... These jobs, like so many service functions at home and abroad are done by civilian contractors.

Stop or I'll throw my keys!

Zigner

You watch too many movies. MP's do not man the perimeter checkpoints of any domestic base I have EVER seen since the terror war. There aren't MPs on perimeter checkpoints at Quantico... These jobs, like so many service functions at home and abroad are done by civilian contractors.

So how many bases HAVE you been to?
I've been to 2 (3 maybe) here on the West Coast where I have seen MP's at the gate. So, I'd have to say EVERY base I've been to has had them.

racer72

MP's guard the gates and perimeters of all the military installations here in the Northwest. Having served in the military many years ago and visiting many bases, I never went to one that had civilian "rent a cops" as security.

So my question is do i have a right to observe these vehicle searches?

That was the question. Well does he have a right?:confused:

He has the right to refuse the search, and of course be refused entry.
Of course he has the right to refuse the search, but that is not what he is asking. He is asking if he has the right to watch while the search is being conducted.

We have written ALOT about this thread but noone including myself (because I don't know) have answered this guys question. Does he have the right to watch?

This is a duplicate post in the military forum also, maybe it will get answered there.

Zigner

Of course he has the right to refuse the search, but that is not what he is asking. He is asking if he has the right to watch while the search is being conducted.

We have written ALOT about this thread but noone including myself (because I don't know) have answered this guys question. Does he have the right to watch?

This is a duplicate post in the military forum also, maybe it will get answered there.
No he does not have the "right" to be present.
Can we move on now?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">