• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pennsylvania person with dui

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bertman6

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania. Hello, I currently have a dui but I am doing ard which I was told can be expunged once I have completed ard. My question is while i'm completing the ard process do i have a criminal record right now? In the documentation it says the charges will be "suspended" while i'm in ard. Does that mean that I currently have no criminal history? The reason why I ask is because i have a job interview with a background check involved. Any help would be great....Thanks.

sjmjuly

The way I understand it, is the arrest record cannot be removed. Even if you are not found guilty, the arrest will still show on a background check. I am in a similar situation in the state of Maryland. They have a similar program to ARD where the actual conviction will not be applied if I successfully complete probation. But I have been told the actual record of the arrest can be found if the the employer runs an extensive background check. Remember, there are many forms of background checks. You will have to do additional research for your state regarding expungement. In PA, you may be able to remove it after ARD. In Maryland, I can petition to have it removed after 10 yrs of clean driving.
Read the fine print carefully when completing the employment application. You may need to be prepared to provide documentation and an explanation of what occurred. Most employment application only request CONVICTION information, not arrest information, but if you honestly answer "no" to the conviction question (which I believe sucessfully completing ARD will prevent a conviction) and the employer finds the arrest, you will have to explain the situation. I was very fortunate. My employer was VERY understanding and even wrote a letter to the judge to verify my employment and job performance.
Being arrested for ANYTHING, especially DUI is horrible, but if you are truly remorseful and do the responsible thing to correct it, life will get better. :) Good Luck.

I still have about two months to go in ARD and i had a job interview this week. I told them I was charged, but never convicted. They said it was no big deal and that places are more concerned about convictions along the lines of theft,etc. I ended up getting hired, but my suggestion would be to just be honest.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">