• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Criminal Damage to Property - Class A misdemeanor

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ChIllinois

What is the name of your state? Illinois

Hi,

I was recently charged with a Class A misdemeanor, criminal damage to property.

The story: I was at the movies and after leaving noticed I had dropped my cellphone inside. The doors were locked and and I began knocking hard to get the employees attention (I guess I broke the glass door here; I was drinking, so I'm not sure). One guy finally let me in and on my way out he was on the phone and asked me to stay because I had broken the glass door. In my alcohol induced state I decided to it'd be easier to hop in my friend's car waiting outside and leave. Later we got pulled over and the guy pressed charges.

Since the property damage was less than 300 dollars they classified it as a class A misdemeanor. From this site on Illinois laws:
http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/ilcs4.asp?DocName=072000050HArt.+21&ActID=1876&ChapAct=720 ILCS 5/&ChapterID=53&ChapterName=CRIMINAL+OFFENSES&SectionID=60736&SeqStart=47900000&SeqEnd=49500000&ActName=Criminal+Code+of+1961.

I understand that I will probably be fined for the door and maybe do community service?

My questions:

What is the worst case scenario? Will I get a really big fine, a lot of community service, possibly jail time?

Should I get a lawyer or just plead guilty? It seem easier to plead guilty and deal with the consequences.

I don't have money. If a lawyer is provided for me will I have to pay ANYTHING at all? and what would he be capable of doing in my situation?

I cant understand for the life of me why stealing is classified as class B and C misdemeanors while I break a window on accident and have to do community service :mad:

Court date is in 4 days, ANY help would be greatly appreciated. Please.

outonbail

You pretty much lost any chance of getting help from any member of this forum when you attacked a senior member with profanities in you're second post at this site.
You are truly an idiot and will have a future full of legal problems because of it.
Now go away!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">