• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Employer not paying amount they should on STD insurance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

PRIS45

What is the name of your state? IL
My daughter paid for STD plan through her employer- she had 3 options to select from, each with a cost to her. She selected the best plan and paid for this plan for 1 year. Now that its time for the Insurance to be paid- Her Employer- said, OOPS, you shouldnt have been given the option to select the highest amount, you should have been allowed the other 2 plans. Her Employer is now sending her the difference paid between plan the two plans and Insur Co, shorting her 1500.00-
Shouldn't someone have noticed this sooner? If she wouldnt have needed to be out on STD, she would still be paying the higher prem.
Their mistake and she has to pay the cost? How many others are paying for a plan that the Company is going to state "shouldnt have been an option"?
What can we do? They dragged their feet for 2.5 months- she lost her Condo and good credit!
I think her employer who she paid the funds too, should be held accountable- anyone know what we can do?

JETX

I think her employer who she paid the funds too, should be held accountable- anyone know what we can do?
First, if she is an adult, there is no 'we'.
Second, if she was in fact NOT eligible for the higher paying plan, then she has no legal right to demand that they provide it for her. The employers only real obligation is to reimburse her for the difference in the plan contributions.

The fact that there was an error does not create a legal obligation.

PRIS45

Employer not paying anount they should.

Thank you for the response! At the time that the plan was offered, she was a Manager, which entitled her to better Benefits.
The former store manager who had been there for 10 years, up and quit as he opened his own store. The District Manager offered her the position, however, never provided her the training, nor the support.
She was hired as an employee and offered the position. She was a store Manager for 6 months or so and due to slow sales, she was put on a action plan that gave her 30 days to increase store sales or she would be demoted. She was never given a copy of the Action plan as their employees do not recieve a copy for any type of write up?
They hired another Manager, who had the experience, (which BTW-is the District Managers personal friend) I suppose they were looking for.
( store sales has still not increased)
The District Manager informed her that they would not take away the better benefits, although I am not sure that this was part of the better benefits?
She signed up during their open enrollment on line, no where was there any information on what plan she should be allowed to sign up for. There was 3 options to select from, so she selected the best plan and paid the prem every pay period. The Company does not pay any portion of the Benefits, it is paid for by the employee.
I suppose what is most troublesome about this, is if she had never needed to use this benefit, she would stilll be paying the amount each pay period. How many other employees are paying for the better plan. This is not a small shop, they are extremely large.
Shouldn't the Company or Insurance Company have some type of audit in place? I could see if they corrected it within the first couple months after the open enrollment but 1 yr later? She did recieve confirmation of all the plan she selected, with the total amount of deductions each payperiod. At that time you would think that corrections would be made.

No where during the enrollment process or even when she recieved her confirmation of her selections,did they have any type of information, as to what she couldn and couldnt enroll,or what the guidelines were.

In the type of Business she is in, it is very cut throat. Stylist work very hard to build up their customer base- The new Manager, informed her Customers, the reason she was not there was because she was sick , which was due to surgery and that she was pregant- which was not true.
Although she did have 2 surgeries, which 1 was life threating and spent a total of 28 days in the Hospital.
Just a side note: No one from HR dept ever called and informed her what paperwork she should do? The only paperwork that was sent to the house was FMLA papers, to see if they would approve them. Which she was.
If I hadnt had called them, they would not have come fourth with the paperwork needed to be paid from the STD.
Am I mistake to assume that personal information should not be released to customers and co-workers? If one would release information, I would think they would be truthful and not give false information. In addition to the above, the Manager informed the staff that they were doing a investigation for stealing- My daughter is willing to take a lie detector test as she has never stolen a thing. I understand that you do not know her but our family does not lie, steal or cheat. How can you do an investigation, when she hadnt been there for over 2 months?
When the Manager was asked about this, she asked "who told you this" and my Daughter informed her that several empoyees did.
The store Manager immediately apologized to the employees and said she should never had discussed it.
I am sure your question would be, do we have proof? Yes, close to the entire staff has come fourth.
Its even more complex than what I has been discussed, I never used this service but I appreciate the response and I truly Thank you- If you could give me your feedback on this, we, meaning my daughter and I, would really appreciate it.
Thank you again for responding as we really appreciate it.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">