• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

possesion marijuana

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

wolfy

I am an 18 year old male and I live in Texas.

I was being dropped off at my high school by a friend of mine so that I could get my car from the school parking lot. As I walked to my car the parking lot attendatnt (not a cop) yelled at me to come to him (I was at least 15 feet from him). When I got there he asked me if I was drunk or high. When I said no, he took me by the arm and told me to empty my pockets. As I was emptying my right jacket pocket he reached in my left pocket and grabbed out a bag of pot containing less than one ounce. He then radioed a real cop to come arrest me. As I was waiting he said something like "Stay still, white boy."

I have an option of 9 months probation. If I go to trial, do I have a shot at getting a not guilty verdict?

L

lawrat

I am a law school graduate. What I offer is mere information, not to be construed as forming an attorney

Depends on a number of factors, including the time this happened. Did this school officer have a reasonable suspicion to question you? If so, does he have authority to do a pat down (i.e is he an employee/peace officer of the city/state?)

Problem is this: you DID have pot on you. Perhaps your lawyer can argue this as an illegal search. If the court buys it, all that evidence found can be thrown out. Without it, not much to go on.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">