• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Arrested, charged with grand theft, court this week, HELP!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

osssmosis

What is the name of your state? CALIFORNIA

I was arrested this week and charged with grand theft 487a but I don't know why I was charged or arrested. I work for a small business where we sell product. About 8 months ago a customer came to the store and purchase some merchandise. I was their salesperson. I sold them the merchandise, gave them an invoice and accepted a check for the merchandise made out to the company. The check was given to my boss. About 3 weeks later my boss asked me to call the clients and inform them that their merchandise had been delayed. I called and did this, and there were a few more phone calls exchanged between the clients, myself, our delivery drivers, and my boss. To make a long story short the merchandise was in and out of stock and I don't believe it was received. The clients then pursued small claims about 5 months ago and won a judgement against the company, and my boss personally. As the company was going down the tubes, my boss didn't pay the judgement. Then about 30 days ago 2 police officers came to the business and were investigating a criminal complaint filed by these clients. I did my best to answer their questions and they left. They returned later that afternoon and spoke with my boss. At the end of the conversation my boss was supposed to provide them with an invoice that the merchandise was ordered. About 2 weeks ago the salesman for the company we purchase the merchandise from provided my boss with an invoice supposedly explaining this (I never saw it up close). She in turn provided it to her attorney to provide to the police. When I was arrested this week I was told by the officer that it was never provided to them. My bond was 10k and I am now charged with grand theft. I have never reaped any benefits from the money paid by these clients. In addition the check they paid with was not written in my name, I worked for a coporation, and aside from checking up on orders, my hands are tied when it comes to having everything shipped in because my boss pays the bills. My court date is this week. What do I do???? I obviously am going to plead not guilty, but is there a chance I could get the charges dropped?? I don't know how to go about this. I have never been in any trouble with law enforcement, and don't think that this is fair to me.
Thanks in advance.

JETX

What do I do????
If your name is on NOTHING, it is EXTREMELY hard for me to believe the circumstances are as you describe. Simply, there would be no reason for the police to blame you for this matter.

I obviously am going to plead not guilty, but is there a chance I could get the charges dropped??
If it is as you describe, should be fairly easy.
Get a local attorney to bring your 'concerns' to the prosecutor.

osssmosis

From what the officer told me the clients had named me in their complaint as I was the person that sold them the merchandise, and also talked with them on the phone a few times following up on it. That is how my name got on the complaint.

osssmosis

ok so here's how court went. The DA has not filed any charges so they continued the case for another month to see if they file. I did not have to enter a plea yet.
Is this a good thing?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">