• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Am I an accessory?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

groundhog

What is the name of your state? Georgia

A friend was arrested for something in GA, I'm not told for what, though it's not murder or anything like that. They are out on 25,000 bond that their friends posted. They are not a citizen (ironically was eligible to apply last week) so, if convicted, the lawyers told them they would be deported automatically after time served. Then an immigration lawyer told them that even if the charge was reduced to a misdimeaner and even if they were only given probation or the like, they would still be deported. They have not been convited of anything and do not yet have a court date for any sort of trial. They have decided to just leave and go back to thier home country instead of taking a chance on jail, since they would be deported anyway. They will then owe thier friends the 25,000 in bond money. This person is a friend with whom I hang out. I've also helped to make a poster advertising all thier belongings for sale. I'm wondering if I've done anything illegal or not by helping to get thier things sold. I'm wondering if I drive them to the airport if I will have done something illegal. I'm also wondering if I'm doing something illegal by just knowing that they are planning to leave. I'm thinking that the authorities won't care- since they will have gone back to where the authorities will be sending them in the end. Also, no one took thier passport, knowing they weren't a citizen. I'm also thinking that this whole thing isn't that important and that the law has more important things to worry about. I know that once people find out that they are gone, left everything behind, that I will be on the top of the list of people who are asked if I know any information. Am I doing something that can get me into trouble?

JETX

Am I doing something that can get me into trouble?
Absolutely. A good prosecutor might consider bringing you up on a variety of available charges.... and the bond company could even file a civil claim due to your helping to defraud them out of their $25k.

Call the prosecutor handling the case and tell them of your 'friends' plans to flee the jurisdiction of the court. And you might contact the person who is going to be out the $25k due to YOUR conduct.

garrula lingua

Yes, you are.

If I were you, I'd also be worried about the friends who posted the bail & are going to get screwed. They'll be slightly ticked at you. You could at least let them know what's going on - they put their $ up & are being taken by you and the defendant.

groundhog

Accessory.

I'm wondering on what charges since I didn't post the bond and the bond is already posted to the bond company so they won't be out any money. And the people who posted it will be paid back so, that won't be an issue- and I have no idea who they are anyway. No one is being taken by me in that way. I'm also not the one leaving. I have no idea who the prosecutor is or anything like that. If there are other charges or "variety of charges" what might they be? Thanks. Also, are either of you lawyers?
Thanks for your advise.

JETX

I'm wondering on what charges since I didn't post the bond and the bond is already posted to the bond company so they won't be out any money.
Where the hell did you get that??
The bonding company posted a bond that they get back ONLY if your friend makes all of his appearances in court. If he doesn't, the court orders the bond forfeited.

And the people who posted it will be paid back so, that won't be an issue- and I have no idea who they are anyway.
And who told you they would be paid off.... the sleaze-bag 'friend' who is about to flee the court... and them??

If there are other charges or "variety of charges" what might they be?
I don't condone your cowardly assistance to such a sleaze-bag.... to screw someone else out of their money. There are a number of CRIMINAL charges you could face... so will NOT help you to defend against any specific ones. I will let your defense attorney do that for you... after you have been arrested and charged (with any luck!!).

groundhog

there was no bonding company involved. it was 2 individuals. i'm only trying to get information so that I can figure out what the right thing is to do and then do it. It appears that you can't even answer the questions, which you use "I won't advise you" as a cover. Thanks for your "advice". I hope no one else in need is actually depending on it.

CourtClerk

there was no bonding company involved.
They are out on 25,000 bond that their friends posted
So are you saying that the friends posted 25000 cash? Nevertheless, if this person doesn't make all scheduled court appearances, the judge will order that money forfeited and they lose. That's a big chunk of money to just throw away.

As far as you helping him flee prosecution, the advice you received earlier was correct. You can be charged.

Caveman

ughabugha

Yeah you are an accessry I could have gotten my girlfriend a really nice bracelet and have gotten screwed better than you.

That is what I am calling gettin an accessry for something.

I guess I am abusing the thesaurus a bit. Well maybe not that much. Ya just gotta strech things sometimes.Like the truth.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">