• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MrMcgee

What is the name of your state? Ohio

Inventory is due on July 7, for the probate I opened up for my fathers estate. The only things I have listed is his 401k, His house, his motorcycle, and his truck. I have his debts listed as the mortgage and a credit card debt. I am the only heir and also the administrator. I am looking to sell the house. Do I have to wait until inventory is done, or can I sell it now? Also, is there such thing as an early distribution for funds because after the house is sold, there will be about 40k in 401k. I know the debts won't amount that high and I would really like to pay for school.

lwpat

Normally a 401K passes outside the estate. Contact the people handling the account and furnish them with an original death certificate.

MrMcgee

Well, I thought the 401k would pass outside of his estate. I don't know if its the same thing, but I think they call it a roth ira account, or something similar. My father didn't leave a will(we couldnt find one) nor listed a beneficiary on the brokerage account. I heard we had to probate the money in order to pay off his bills and since I am the only heir, I would get what is left.
Do you know the rules on that? I only ask cause I'd really like to pay for my school with this(my father paid beforehand).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">