• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

question about a judgement/order in DUI case

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

johnsred

What is the name of your state? Montana

Currently waiting to go to trial on fourth and felony DUI charge. The State has submitted a "notice of intent" to introduce evidence of other crimes, wrongs or acts. (rule 404(b)M.R.Evid.). My attorney has submitted this, "Defendant's objection to state's notice of intent to use evidence of other crimes, wrongs or acts".

The judge's response to this was " The state is required to give notice when it intends to use other crimes/bad acts evidence. An objection does not lie and requires no response. evidentiary issues can be address at trial."

I get the jist of it but do not understand what is meant by "An objection does not lie". I googled it but can not find a meaning for this term. What does it mean? Where did it come from?

seniorjudge

That means your lawyer needs to object to it when it comes up, not now.

A lot of places allow motions in limine which is a fancy way of saying you can object to something you think might come up.

Apparently your jurisdiction does not allow that.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">