• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

First offense DUI / Company Car

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nancysintrouble

What is the name of your state? Virginia

I was recently charged with a DUI in Virginia, my first and hopefully last. At the time I was driving a vehicle owned and insured by my employer, who is based out of Florida. Can anyone give me any information on:

a] how the insurance rates for my company will be affected?

and

b] how my personal insurability will be affected? [I currently have no personal insurance, since I'm covered under my employer's policy - it's the only vehicle I drive.]

Thanks in advance!

CourtClerk

What is the name of your state? Virginia

I was recently charged with a DUI in Virginia, my first and hopefully last. At the time I was driving a vehicle owned and insured by my employer, who is based out of Florida. Can anyone give me any information on:

a] how the insurance rates for my company will be affected?

and

b] how my personal insurability will be affected? [I currently have no personal insurance, since I'm covered under my employer's policy - it's the only vehicle I drive.]

Thanks in advance!
How their rates are effected, I don't know, however, it is quite possible that the insurance company for your employer will refuse to insure you any longer, making you then unable to utilize the company vehicle(s). If they do raise the company rates, it would probably be a decision for the company, to not have you covered under their policy as you have just raised the risk tremendously by drinking and driving.

As for your own personal insurance... look wayyyy up in the sky. That's where your rates will be.

sjmjuly

I work in the insurance field. When your employer's auto insurance policy comes up for renewal and the insurance carrier runs MVR'S, they will find the DUI conviction and require your employer to remove you from the driver list. No standard insurance company will allow a driver with a DUI conviction. Your employer either removes you, or the company sets the policy for non-renewal.
There are insurance companies out there (like Progressive) that will insure a business with a DUI employee, but it will be at a higher cost.
Besides, you have bigger problems than your employers auto insurance: If you drive for work, the state of the Virginia is going to suspend your license for a year. If the circumstances of your DUI are such that you are eligible for a hardship restricted license, you will be able to drive during certain times of the day only. Make SURE you obtain a lawyer and be sure to explain to him/her your situation. Good Luck.

mmann11

Do Not Worry

Hi, don't listen to people on this thread, they are out there to scare you till you cannot sleep at night. If your company does good business with the insurance company they will keep them. Since it is your first DUI, most likely it will not show up on your personal records. Worst case is that the insurance company finds out that the vehicle was involved in a DUI and your company may or may not take action at that point. In virginia I think first timers qualify for the ASAP/ARD program with which you can have your DUI expunged from public records after six months of probation. I hope it all works out for you, good luck!

FlyingRon

Hi, don't listen to people on this thread, they are out there to scare you till you cannot sleep at night. If your company does good business with the insurance company they will keep them. Since it is your first DUI, most likely it will not show up on your personal records. Worst case is that the insurance company finds out that the vehicle was involved in a DUI and your company may or may not take action at that point. In virginia I think first timers qualify for the ASAP/ARD program with which you can have your DUI expunged from public records after six months of probation. I hope it all works out for you, good luck!
Hi don't listen to people without a clue about Virginia.

There is no ARD or any sort of diversion here ( except for certain youthful offenders).
There is no expungement here.
It will be on your driving, criminal, and company personnel records.
The insurance company will certainly find out if they don't already know.

sjmjuly

Hi don't listen to people without a clue about Virginia.

There is no ARD or any sort of diversion here ( except for certain youthful offenders).
There is no expungement here.
It will be on your driving, criminal, and company personnel records.
The insurance company will certainly find out if they don't already know.

FlyingRon is absolutely correct. I live in Virginia and work in the insurance industry. I have seen first hand what happens to commerical auto polciies when a DUI has been discovered.

CourtClerk

Wow...aren't you a genius? Just what are your qualifications?

Nathan S.

I had a similar situation happen to me in Texas several years ago. My company headquarters is in Atlanta, GA, I live in Pennsylvania, and was working just north of the TX border in Oklahoma when I was arrested for DWI in Texas. At the time I was driving a rental car. I spent the first night in jail, bonded out, and hired a local lawer immediately. Texas did not report my case to Pennsylvania, so my license was not suspended and my insurance didn't go up. I did have to return to texas and ended up paying a $1200 fine and doing 5 days jail time since I wasn't eligable for probation since I was a resident of another state.Unfortunately, the rental car company gave me a lifetime ban. It depends on whether VA reports it to your home state and if you drive on a company insurance policy or your own. The good side was, after I paid my dues in Texas (fines and my jail time), I was only served with a paper saying I needed to pay $1000 to have my driving priveledge in TX re-instated. This has only caused a minor inconvenience, so now when I go there I travel with a co-worker and have them drive. Good Luck!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">