• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Embezzlement Charges? HELP PLEASE

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

djrbx

What is the name of your state? California

Hi, A friend of mine was recently charged with embezzlement worth up to $58750.
He was contacted by the corperate security team from his employer to give a brief statement. Now it has just came to my atttention that he also initialed the statement stating that he in fact did poket about 8 to 10 k worth of money. But the company is telling him that if he is able to come up with $58750 they will not press any charges. What strikes me is that my friend mentioned to me that he was not fired as of yet but was put on suspension with pay. Now my friend works with customers in a celluar store. He told me that most of that money did not go his poket. He stated that he was helping customers that he did not even know. To give you an example, he told me that lets say if a customer came into his store and wanted to buy a new phone but was not allowed to cause of a system issue that prevented that customer from buying a new phone, he would discount the phone so that the customer can leave happily. Another example would be lets say the Customer had carrier A but wanted carrier B, but carrier A had a fee if the contract was broken with that carrier, my friend would give the customer a credit to the account the amount that carrier A would charge toward the new account for carrier B. So in essence, he was providing buissness to the company he works for as well. But all in all, he did benifit from it but not to the extent of $58750.

Now my question is this,
- What should my friend do cause he does not have any money to hire an expencive lawyer and on top of that he is only 19 or 20. He also has no past criminal record.
- He was also wondering if he goes to trial, what can be the best and worst outcome?
- Also even after spending his time, will he still be in dept to the company as well once he finishes his sentence if any?

Thank You

outonbail

What is the name of your state? California

Hi, A friend of mine was recently charged with embezzlement worth up to $58750.
He was contacted by the corperate security team from his employer to give a brief statement. Now it has just came to my atttention that he also initialed the statement stating that he in fact did poket about 8 to 10 k worth of money.
Are you saying that he signed a written statement, admitting that he helped himself to company funds, totaling between 8 to 10 grand and which he was not entitled to?
But the company is telling him that if he is able to come up with $58750 they will not press any charges. What strikes me is that my friend mentioned to me that he was not fired as of yet but was put on suspension with pay.
Huh? He's claiming that he admitted stealing 10K to them and signed some sort of confession to that affect, they think it's much more than that amount and want nearly 60K to forgive him and forget it ever happened. But in the meantime, they are still paying his salary while he sits home and does nothing.
my friend works with customers in a celluar store. He told me that most of that money did not go his poket.
This statement may be accurate. Most of it probably went up his nose or up in smoke.
He stated that he was helping customers that he did not even know. To give you an example, he told me that lets say if a customer came into his store and wanted to buy a new phone but was not allowed to cause of a system issue that prevented that customer from buying a new phone, he would discount the phone so that the customer can leave happily. Another example would be lets say the Customer had carrier A but wanted carrier B, but carrier A had a fee if the contract was broken with that carrier, my friend would give the customer a credit to the account the amount that carrier A would charge toward the new account for carrier B. So in essence, he was providing buissness to the company he works for as well. But all in all, he did benifit from it but not to the extent of $58750.
Sort of a modern day Robin Hood.

Now my question is this,
- What should my friend do cause he does not have any money to hire an expencive lawyer and on top of that he is only 19 or 20. He also has no past criminal record.
- He was also wondering if he goes to trial, what can be the best and worst outcome?
- Also even after spending his time, will he still be in dept to the company as well once he finishes his sentence if any?
I'll only say this, DO NOT lend this friend any money for any reason at all! He is a liar and a thief and for whatever reason, he is giving you a big BS story. You should turn and run the other way because this guy is an idiot and he must think you are too.

He stole 10K from a cell phone store, but they want 58K and until he decides what he's going to do he sits at home and gets paid,,,,,, What a load of crap! This guy's got issues and he's a drama queen. Tell him he doesn't need a lawyer, he needs a shrink!.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">