• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Complicated - 3 states & probation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sjmjuly

What is the name of your state? Live in Virginia, arrested in Maryland - Blew a .09 - No accident or children involved. Other than a seat belt violation, I have clean driving record and have never been in trouble before.

This is complicated. I live in Vriginia, was arrested in Maryland, and moving to California. I am also licensed in Virginia.
If I receive Probation before Judgement (first time offender possibility) and I am placed on probation, I have a question:
My husband is an officer in the Navy and has been assigned duty in San Diego. We are moving in August. I am wondering what procedure needs to be followed for my probation so I am not in violation of my terms. To complicate things more, I am maintaining my job that's located in Virginia. I will be working from my home in California for two weeks and will commute to Virginia for two weeks.
I have completed the following and will be going to court on Monday:
Became a member of MADD, attended a Victim Impact Panel meeting, completed an eight hour DUI/DWI driving improvement course, completed 9 weeks (12 hours total) of alcohol education classes, passed three drug/alcohol urine screens, received an alcohol abuse assessment by the counselor (deemed to NOT be an alcoholic) AND a character letter from the President of the company I work for. This was all done voluntarily and will be presented to the Judge by my attorney. I am prepared to pay the fine in full and do whatever the court asks that I do. The judge will also know about the moving situation and the fact that my husband is in the military. As you can see, I made a horrible mistake and am truly sorry.
Anyway,,,,,now that you know everything, what should I be concerned about regarding probation and moving to another state??????

Last edited:

FlyingRon

that you know everything, what should I be concerned about regarding probation and moving to another state??????
It depends on the level of supervision that they want to have on you. They could either do the probation remotely or you'll have to get the California probation department to agree to a transfer.

Indiana Filer

It depends on the level of supervision that they want to have on you. They could either do the probation remotely or you'll have to get the California probation department to agree to a transfer.
If you do get placed on probation, you should be able to get it transferred through the Interstate Compact. Because you will have immediate family (your husband) living in California, your application for transfer of probation should be approved.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">