• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Advice from the Prosecutor?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Maiasaura

What is the name of your state? NJ

I was charged with theft 2C:20-3a by the state based on a civil compliant from my former employer. Situation is: I was a personal assistant and this is about my use of my boss's credit cards. She and I had a verbal agreement that I would repay her for using them. She decided instead to file a police complaint because she expects the credit card company to reimburse her for charges she flagged as unapproved. I'm trying to do the right thing, but she's been quite nasty and dishonest with me, so it's hard to be objective.

I went to court expecting to get a public defender and/or apply for the pre-trial intervention program (as suggested by private attorney on the telephone.) The prosecutor came to me before I was called and looked at my paperwork. He said the best thing to do is plead not guilty and file a cross-complaint against my former employer. The public defender looked at my paperwork and said 'when they call your name go up front.' He left early.

When they called me, I went up. The prosecutor said, 'she's pleading not guilty and filing a cross-complaint.' The judge was happy with that and they gave me a court date. I tried to get hold of the prosecutor and the defender to find out what the heck I'm supposed to charge her with, but so far, no luck.

Questions:

Private attorney wanted $1500 to represent me(getting me into the pre-trial diversion program). She said public defender would cost me about $900. Money is an issue. Are these numbers reasonable?

Why did the prosecutor suggest this arrangement. Is it better for him or me?

What cross-complaint could I file? Should I?

Should this go to trial? Is it in my best interests?

Thanks for your help.

seniorjudge

Q: Private attorney wanted $1500 to represent me(getting me into the pre-trial diversion program). She said public defender would cost me about $900. Money is an issue. Are these numbers reasonable?

A: Yes.

Q: Why did the prosecutor suggest this arrangement. Is it better for him or me?

A: You need to ask the prosecutor.

Q: What cross-complaint could I file? Should I?

A: Sounds like she is committing fraud; talk to the cops.

Q: Should this go to trial? Is it in my best interests?

A: If I were you, I would certainly not want this to go to trial. The prosecutor may be willing to work with you. Have your lawyer talk to the prosecutor.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">