• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Estate inventory - can this be right?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

geohurl

What is the name of your state? California
I have been named personal representative in an estate, I am also one/half beneficiary. The estate assets are made up of 1) a car 2) a brokerage account over $250K of value 3) small bank acct. My attorney is telling me that I MUST pay for a court referee a fee of $271.87 (.1%) of the brokerage assets. Here's the rub, I have the EXACT values of the stocks in the brokerage account because the DOD, date of death, is the ending date of a month so it is published, shown on the statement what the value of the stocks are as of that date. Why does the estate have to pay for a referee to value stocks that are traded on an exchange and that are on a brokerage statement? Help! I understand the car needing to be appraised but the stocks, I don't understand other than it's a rip- off. I've also posted another thread regarding the car/auto and would really appreciate a response. I posted it on 6/19/2007.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">