• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

watch stolen?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gary47

What is the name of your state? OR
After corresponding via e-mail with a watch repairer in another state, he had me mail the watch (approx $350 value) to him for his inspection and then he would advise me whether to get it repaired or sold as is (the case is 18kt solid gold). This was three weeks ago, I have e-mailed him several times regarding whether he received the watch and whether he has had a chance to examine it. He has not reponded. Nor has he returned phone calls. I finally contacted the USPS to determine whether they had receipt for delivery (I sent it insured) -- they did.

I plan to wait a bit longer (perhaps he is on vaction) but need to start considering action. Could the USPS Inspector General be enlisted? Should I contact my local law enforcement with the hope that they would work with law enforcement in the repairer's jurisdiction or do I need to directly contact law enforcement in the repairer's jurisdiction? Thanks for any help.

CdwJava

You can contact your local police, but chances are you are going to have to report it as embezzlement in the jurisdiction where the repairer lives. MAYBE the local cops there can light a fire under him to send it back. If you sent it to CA then this will likely be a misdemeanor unless there are aggravating factors involved (like misleading you to believe he's a watch repairer and is not).

Ultimately, I suspect that your watch is gone.

Sorry.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">