• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Went to court

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sjmjuly

What is the name of your state? Maryland

My court date for my March DUI was yesterday. I blew a .09 and was arrested.
I was lucky. The DUI was decreased to a DWI (lesser offense in Maryland) I received a Probation before Judgement (Maryland's first time offender diversion) 6 months of unsupervised probation and a $458 fine. No jail time and no additional license suspension. If after the six months I don't get into trouble, the conviction never happens.
Word of advice?????? DON'T DRINK AND DRIVE! I have learned my lesson - Believe me. For those of you facing court here's some more advice: Be proactive BEFORE you go to court. My judge was impressed with the fact that I had already completed most of what would have been required for my probation. (Victim Impact Panel meeting, DWI driving improvement course, alcohol evaluation w/12 weeks of group classes,,,etc) My attorney was awesome and very on top of everything. He's the one that told me to do all these things prior to court.
First and foremost, don't EVER do it again. People say "never say never", but on this subject, you will never see me get behind the wheel after just one sip of alcohol. It's just not worth it.

BigMistakeFl

BigMistakeFl

Unfortunately, most people will continue to drive after having "a couple drinks". They will, until they experience the DUI system for themselves.

Our current method of "don't drink and drive" is ineffective. People who do so are not aware that they are doing something that is illegal because it is not illegal to drink and drive, only to drive while impaired. If you're impaired, you cannot be trusted to judge whether or not you should be driving.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">