• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

arrangements of copyrighted works

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

PLolax

I'd like to offer a service of arranging copyrighted pieces by other artists for solo guitar. I am selling only my service, and am not trying to copyright my arrangements or sell them as pieces. Do I need permission by the copyright owner to use their works, and if so, how do I go about getting it?

Paul in Massachusetts

L

lawrat

I am a law school graduate. What I offer is mere information, not to be construed as forming an attorney client relationship.

You need to be a little more clearer by what you just said.

Are you just performing live? If so, no permission or license is needed.

Are you recording and distributing/selling? PErmission is needed for the underlying composition/musical arrangements.

P

PLolax

reply to lawrat re:copyright question

I am not performing the arrangements that I am creating. I wish to do arrangements as a service for people who want to play certain pieces that are under copyright protection. In other words, I will provide an arrangement that is playable for the customer, but I am selling the service, not the piece.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">