• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

DUI/Drink drive class

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cillmor

What is the name of your state? california

I am from ireland but while in California on vacation/work during Februrary I got caught for DUI.
It has gone to court ( I got an attorney to represent me at a cost $2250) and I got fined $855 as the judge charged me with a wet reckless (I blew 0.06) but I must also complete a drink driving education class but since I am now in ireland there is no means of doing this course since the Irish system does not run them.

What are the implications of not doing this course ?

My attorney is expecting some kind of proof to show the judge that i have completed the course but as I say I have no means of doing it.

Any comments ?

sjmjuly

If you were put on probation and the classes were a stipulation of your probation, by not completing the classes you will have violated your probation. The state of California could issue a warrant for your arrest. I am not quite sure how that all works though and you should call your USA attorney and talk to him about the consequences.
You may also have trouble if you travel in the future. Call your lawyer.

BigMistakeFl

BigMistakeFl

I think you should research the classes a little harder in the UK:

"Since 1993, the UK has made experimental use of rehabilitation courses for drink-drive offenders. They are available in certain areas only and if the court orders the offender to attend the course. Disqualification is reduced by 25%. The scheme may become permanent and nationwide in 2000 subject to a Parliamentary approval."

I'd try to find out what this is about, register, and get the proof to your lawyer and clear yourself.

Good luck

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">