• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Moving Parents in

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

uvdb20

What is the name of your state? Virginia
I have elderly parents - father may have early stages of alzhimers. I am wondering about either adding on to my home so they can live with me or adding on to their home and living there. If we add on to their home would it be best if my husband and I buy their house or become joint owners with them?

fairisfair

I have elderly parents - father may have early stages of alzhimers. I am wondering about either adding on to my home so they can live with me or adding on to their home and living there. If we add on to their home would it be best if my husband and I buy their house or become joint owners with them?
If you make the investment of adding on to their home, it would certainly be in your best interest to protect that investment in some way.

BlondiePB

Make the addition to your own home.

lwpat

With so little information to go on it is difficult to give you an opinion other than to agree with BlondiePB. I also hate to keep sounding redundant with the suggestion to consult with an elder care attorney. The fact is that the laws in this area are very state specific and you need a local attorney to guide you with this and the many other issues of dealing with elderly parents.

You need to make an appointment immediately while your Dad may still be competent.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">