• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Company check after I've quit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Janitorxxx111aa

What is the name of your state? florida

The company I worked for kept sending me checks after I quit. I called them and told them of the mistake but the checks kept coming. So, I cashed them. Is this a crime? The total is about $4800 so far.

Thanks..

JETX

The company I worked for kept sending me checks after I quit. I called them and told them of the mistake but the checks kept coming. So, I cashed them.
hmmm... if you were REALLY wanting to avoid this problem.... why didn't you just gather them up and mail them back to the company?? What 'forced' you to cash them??

Is this a crime?
An aggressive company could file theft charges against you. Might not stick, but you would still get the thrill of arrest, jail, criminal record and attorney fees.

The total is about $4800 so far.
Better hope you haven't SPENT their money, because you can bet that they will catch their mistake and demand immediate repayment.

Janitorxxx111aa

Guess I got stupid is the reason I cashed them.

My friend is a supervisor there. He said that he will say that I still worked. Would that work. Is it our word against theirs?

I have some of the money that I could return.

I know it was a dumb thing to do. Temptation got the best of me. :(

JETX

My friend is a supervisor there. He said that he will say that I still worked. Would that work. Is it our word against theirs?
So, your friend is willing to lie to help you steal funds from his employer??
And you will allow your friend to lose HIS job so that you can steal the company's money??
Sounds like one hell of a friendship.... each of you allowing and condoning the other getting arrested??

Janitorxxx111aa

I know.... its wrong....

Just looking for advice to get things cleared up.

I know 100% it was all wrong. I need the facts about this now. Ive never commited a crime, (until now).

Help...

Thanks.

justalayman

you need to not cash anymore checks.

you need to send the company the money to reimburse them for any checks you have already cashed

you need to notify the payroll department of the continuing mistake.

you need to simply resist the urge to be stupid again. If you don;t, you AND your friend may be able to get to know each other very well snce the both of you might end up in jail together.

JETX

I know.... its wrong....
We agree.

Just looking for advice to get things cleared up.
Bullcrap!! You are looking for someone to condone your improper conduct. If you were really looking "for advice to get things cleared up" you would have contacted the company MANAGEMENT about making restitution... and not gotten one of your friends to violate the law (and very surely company policy) to help cover for you.

Quit being a low-life... and digging lower... pay them the money that you improperly 'retained'.

Janitorxxx111aa

When a person commits a crime, they will try to 'get off the hook' as easy as they can, correct? Hire a lawyer... lawyer can come up with something to lessen the blow or just get you off. This is how some lawyers come up with the "snake" image, no?

I thought this was a forum to get advice from people who have been through the same situation or maybe someone with some leagle background.

I dont need to be insulted. I already said I've done wrong. Why else would I be here?

I understand, give the money back. The Friend situation was just an idea to "get off the hook." Maybe not the best idea, but I was asking if its a possability.

People commit crimes. Its life. People try to get out of it also. Thats why I was asking for help.

Its easy to judge me... ok, I stole money from a company. I'm a "low-life." So be it.
Temptation got the best of me. Again, I'm a "low-life" So be it.

Im still asking about all my options. Isnt that what this forum for?

JETX

When a person commits a crime, they will try to 'get off the hook' as easy as they can, correct?
Not if they are a mature and responsible adult whose parents taught them to be accountable for their actions. Obviously, none of them apply to you.

Hire a lawyer... lawyer can come up with something to lessen the blow or just get you off. This is how some lawyers come up with the "snake" image, no?
No.

I thought this was a forum to get advice from people who have been through the same situation or maybe someone with some leagle background.
Yep. And you got it.

I dont need to be insulted. I already said I've done wrong. Why else would I be here?
Because you are a spoiled little brat... who wants someone to condone your behavior.

People commit crimes. Its life. People try to get out of it also. Thats why I was asking for help.
Wow.... so you excuse your conduct with 'gee.... everyone does it

Its easy to judge me... ok, I stole money from a company. I'm a "low-life." So be it.
Temptation got the best of me. Again, I'm a "low-life" So be it.
Agreed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">