• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Florida laws

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tmcnut

Aloha Honey Do you know about the gift laws in Florida? Can my father give me his house and I give him life residence so that he owns nothing allowing him to recieve benefits? Will this also protect his house from an assisted living facility taking it if he ever has to go to one? Mahalo for your assistance. Ciao T.McNut

Ozark_Sophist

Medicaid will look back to determine the disposition of your father's assets. I believe the look back provision is five years. If your father disposes of his assets for less than fair market value in an attempt to qualify for state medical assistance, he would be committing fraud and it potentially makes him ineligible for assistance.

Careful financial planning could mitigate the financial impact disposing of your father's assets has in terms of health care eligilibity. Consult an elder law attorney for guidance.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">