• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Gold Mine

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bristol

What is the name of your state? Illinois

I've been helping my 80+ mother the last few months pay her bills because she was not getting the job done. She is highly functional and very careful about what she says in public but she's suffering from dementia.

I've since discovered that, in 2004, she's given over $200,000 dollars to someone to invest in a Gold Mine in Africa. There is NO documentation, no evidence, but her check stubs, (I'll use P.o.A. on monday and swing by the bank and see if I can get copies of the actual checks.) Her "friend" of 40 years from the old 'hood, arranged this meeting between her and this "trusted investor person from florida". Friend says she was not a party to any information and not present or knowledgable for any transaction but she sure seems like an accessory. Friend has told my mother stories such that she now thinks this guy is part of some organised crime family and can and will kill people. She is terrified and won't speak of her dealings. I can't find any crediable information about the florida guy online.

I'm afraid that if we start asking the friend questions, we'll be shut out and any evidence there might be will be destroyed. (My mother has helped friend shread and burn lots of papers!) I'd like to see a search warrant and wire tap on this house because THIS is what this lady's business is about by her own description! She solicits people for money (charatable contributions) for this guy!

I'm a sharp guy but mom is being manipulated by highly skilled folks and I don't know where to turn or what to do next. I've not told the rest of the family yet, (this is a new development) Mom says, it'll all be over in a few months as the "investment" will mature. Is there a statue of limitation for fraud that will run out? Mom thinks that if I tell people about her deal, it'll sour and she'll not get anything back.

Please help. I appreciate your advice because I don't know what to do or where to turn.

Q2: what do I have to do to exericse my P.o.A. and REMOVE her from doing ANYTHING financially?

/big mess in Illinois

Last edited:

bristol

poa

It's a durable power of attny - signed 2/10/06 - in case of disabled or incompetent. I, and all her friends and a few relatives, think we've reached that point.

BlondiePB

It's a durable power of attny - signed 2/10/06 - in case of disabled or incompetent. I, and all her friends and a few relatives, think we've reached that point.
Report this sham to the Attorney General's office. Mom's money is gone. Does your POA allow you to open a trust account for mom?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">