• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

repossession without contract or security agreement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

U

us2gether

repossession without security agreement

An ex-boyfriend bought me a car worth $1700 for my birthday. He told me he would be the lienholder so that neither of us could sell it without the other's signature(which was a lie). Once we broke up, he wanted either the car back or the money. I told him I would try to pay him something if I could afford it. He called the police, and they advised him that he had to go to court to get the car back. Eight months later, he demanded payment again, and my response was the same. The next day, he entered my present boyfriend's property and took the car back. He says he has every legal right to do so, but I have spent many hours researching and have found no legal justification for the "civilian's repossession". Is it legal in Florida for an individual who is a lienholder to repossess a vehicle without having any contract or security agreement?

[Edited by us2gether on 01-18-2001 at 06:20 PM]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">